Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Offense

Children fight with each other for what seems like the silliest reasons. Mine are no different, even as I am typing this, I have had to stop already to intervene in a battle over who can use the shiny mechanical pencil. (Are you kidding me?!?) For the past year and a half, I interrupt my girls fighting with one question.


“Is this clash important or can you use all that energy to debate something that will change lives, like end human trafficking or solve world hunger?”


More often than not, they stop and realize what they have chosen to be mad over is not worth the hate they are putting out there. This week I threw another question in the mix after they have resolved to stop fighting, asking my girls “What is Good?”  Simple enough, but this has challenged them to really consider in the aftermath of the fight.  Taking it one step further, they now consider that their fight may not be worthwhile, and they have to think about something good in their life.

I have just about quit watching or reading the news. I am down to getting highlights from two daily five-minute podcasts from both sides of the spectrum. While this may leave me out of the loop, it has also lightened my load of superfluous hate being spread through politically aligned news feeds filling my screen.  I want to gather everyone into the same room and ask them, “Is this clash important or can you use all that energy to debate something that will change lives, like end human trafficking or solve world hunger?” and “What is good?”

One job I have as a follower of Christ is to share the good with as many people as I can. To show each individual the love that is overwhelmingly good, the love from God that keeps us and restores us. Mark 16:15 say, “Go into all the world and proclaim the Gospel to the whole creation.” Gospel is the Old English translation of the Bible that simply means Good News.

What is the good news?  In one word it is Love. Simple, unassuming, love.


“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in Him would not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

The Good News of God’s love is our goal, to be that love for people both inside and outside the church. My husband is great at this, telling everyone that Jesus loves them. It comes so naturally, and he is unafraid to show that love to people.  Surprisingly, I am not great with the words portion of this, due in part to my fearful introverted side, but I keep in mind to show love as I move about my day. No, I’m not perfect at this and yes I do get angry, especially at the person on the phone thinking they are driving remarkably, while constantly crossing that delicate yellow line meant to protect us from each other. (that’s a whole other story)

How can we show love? Going forward, I challenge you to figure out if the differences we see in people is worth a fight, then ask yourself, “What is Good?”  

It is hard to look someone in the eye and hate that person if you see them through the lens of God’s Love.



Have a blessed day and look for the beauty among the rubble.

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Stephanie! I LOVE THIS!
    Oh if only we could all remember these words in our world today how much we could help our hurting world around us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my prayer, and it starts with each of us remembering.

    ReplyDelete